When there is lots of rain and high humidity squash, pumpkin and cucumber plants are susceptible to powdery mildew. You’ll quickly see the white spots on the green leaves to know if you have it.
This will continue to spread, so take action as soon as you notice the signs:
1. Cut off the most diseased and dead leaves. These shouldn’t go in the compost pile as they can infect next year’s crop.
2. Spray the remaining leaves regularly with any of these:
- Strong chamomile tea (cold)
- 1 part milk to 9 parts water
- 0.5 to 1% baking soda to water solution
The vegetables from these plants should be salvageable, as long as your entire plant doesn’t perish.