Healthy soil will help to keep your plants healthy and strong. Stronger plants can better withstand bugs, disease and water stress. Ways to keep your soil healthy:
- Make sure you have mulch on it all year
- Never walk on it. Make paths and stay on them.
- Don’t turn it over. This destroys the natural layers that form creating the best substructure.
- Loosen soil before planting with a pitchfork, your hands or some other tool with tines.
- Apply compost in the fall to the top (then mulch before winter). By spring it will have worked itself in enough.